The biggest shopping night of the holiday season is approaching! Black Friday can be great for finding deals and getting a kick-start on your holiday shopping, but it can also bring thieves who advantage of unsuspected shoppers and dangerous driving. If you are brave enough to venture outside, you will want to read the safety tips below.
On The Road
- Tired or excited shoppers can lead to sloppy driving mistakes. Be aware of your surroundings and practice defensive driving while in parking lots.
- When shopping, keep all gifts in the trunk or out of sight of others whenever possible. When you are finished, be sure to bring your gifts inside of the house.
- When walking to your car, keep your keys in your hand. Also, look underneath your car before you reach it because criminals have been known to wait underneath.
- Avoid parking next to vans or trucks that could block your space from the general view of others.
- Do not buy more than you can carry. More bags means less of an ability to defend yourself.
- Shop with others if possible. If you are shopping alone and feel unsafe, ask mall security to walk you to your car.
In the Stores
- Shop with a single credit card if possible. Large amounts of cash are irreplaceable and a single card is easier to cancel than multiple if stolen.
- Keep purses and wallets zipped and carry them close to the body.
- Go to ATMs in well-lit and populated areas.
- Do not expose your credit card while in line. Lingering eyes can easily steal your information.
- When shopping with small children, always make a plan with a meeting place. Also, teach children to get assistance from mall security when lost.
We hope you have a safe and fun start to the holiday! Also, don’t forget to shop small on Small Business Saturday!